Easter is a time to celebrate with family, eat delicious chocolate eggs, and enjoy the spirit of spring. For retro gaming enthusiasts, Easter also presents the perfect opportunity to explore video games with Easter themes or hidden Easter eggs. In this article, I cover some of my favorite video games with an Easter twist.
... and Read to the end, as I also highlight a couple games that have unique Easter-themed Easter eggs!
10 FUN Retro Video Games to Play on Easter:
1. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992) - Game Boy - In this classic platformer, Mario must collect six golden coins to unlock the gate to his castle and confront the villainous Wario. The game features a unique level called the "Hippo" zone, where Mario must navigate through the sky using a pair of bunny ears. These bunny ears allow Mario to float and glide, adding a fun Easter-themed twist to the game.
2. Sam & Max Hit the Road (1993) - PC - In this point-and-click graphic adventure game, players control Sam, a canine detective, and his hyperkinetic rabbity-thing sidekick, Max. They embark on a cross-country journey to solve the mystery of a missing Bigfoot and his wife. The game features a variety of humorous situations, witty dialogue, and the presence of the rabbit-like character, Max, making it an enjoyable and lighthearted choice for Easter.
3. Bucky O'Hare (1992) - NES - This colorful action-platformer is based on the animated TV show of the same name. Bucky O'Hare, the green space rabbit, leads a team of heroes against the evil Toad Empire. The game's bright graphics and cute characters make it a great pick for Easter gaming.
4. Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (1993) - Sega Genesis - Join Buster Bunny and his friends as they search for hidden treasure in this entertaining platformer. The game features several Easter-themed levels, complete with giant eggs, colorful backgrounds, and bunny characters.
5. The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (1989) - NES - Help Bugs Bunny navigate a series of challenging puzzles and avoid various enemies in this entertaining puzzle-platformer. The game's lighthearted bunny protagonist and colorful graphics make it a fitting choice for Easter.
6. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (1997) - PlayStation - This charming 2.5D platformer features Klonoa, a cat-like creature with long, rabbit-like ears. Players control Klonoa as he embarks on a journey to save the world of Phantomile from an evil menace. The game's vivid graphics, engaging gameplay, and the adorable bunny-like protagonist make it a delightful option for Easter fun.
7. Kao the Kangaroo (2000) - Dreamcast - Take on the role of Kao, a boxing kangaroo, as he embarks on a quest to rescue his kidnapped friends. The game's bright visuals, engaging gameplay, and adorable animal characters make it a great option for Easter fun.
8. Jumping Flash! (1995) - PlayStation - One of my personal favorites! Play as Robbit, a robotic rabbit, in this groundbreaking 3D platformer. The game's charming protagonist, bright graphics, and innovative gameplay make it an enjoyable choice for Easter gaming sessions.
9. Yoshi's Island (1995) - SNES - In this Super Mario World prequel, you control Yoshi as he helps Baby Mario through a variety of colorful and whimsical levels. The game's egg-throwing mechanic and charming graphics make it a great Easter-themed choice.
10. Rabbids Go Home (2009) - Wii - Join the zany Rabbids in their quest to collect as many items as possible to build a pile high enough to reach the Moon. This hilarious, action-packed game features an abundance of rabbit characters and is perfect for Easter fun.
You didn't think I was gonna end this post without some Easter-themed Easter Eggs... Did you?
- Silent Hill 3 (2003) - PlayStation 2 In this survival horror game, a hidden Easter egg can be found by unlocking Heather's "princess heart" costume. This outfit features a pastel-colored dress and rabbit ears, which give a playful nod to the Easter theme.
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) - PlayStation 2, Xbox, PC - In this open-world action-adventure game, you can find an actual chocolate Easter egg hidden in the game world. To locate it, players must jump through a window in a specific building in Downtown Vice City. The egg is perched on a pedestal and has the words "Happy Easter" written on it.
For many, Easter is a time for celebration, and playing retro video games with Easter themes or hidden Easter eggs can be a fun and nostalgic way to enjoy it. These games provide a unique way to engage with the festive spirit of Easter, offering both entertaining gameplay and a charming holiday atmosphere. So, gather your family or friends and indulge in some retro Easter gaming to make this holiday even more memorable!
Did I miss any? Sound off in the comments - and for those who celebrate, Happy Easter!